Music and The Fictive Dream: "Ave Maria" in "The Batman"

Ethan Bowser 


 "Ave Maria". 1825, Franz Schubert, Austria.

    A few years ago, I sat down with my older sister to watch the movie "The Batman". It was one of the last movies we watched together. There were a number of things I enjoyed about the movie: the complex plot, the mystery at the heart of the film, and the characters. One of the odd things that struck me immediately as the film began was its use of classical music, particularly its recurring use of Franz Schubert's "Ave Maria"--a phenomenon that begins before the movie's first scene even opens.

Biographical Information

    Franz Schubert wrote his "Ave Maria" while on vacation in upper Austria. It immediately became a hit throughout Europe. The song's title translates to "Hail Mary" in English, a prayer for supplication and help from Mary, mother of Jesus in the Christian faith. Schubert is not the only person to have written songs called Ave Maria. On my classical playlist, I have songs with the same title by Verdi, Brahms, Parsons, and Bruckner.
    The lyrics of the song are set to a German translation of the poem "The Lady of the Lake" by Walter Scott, author of such acclaimed literary works as "Rob Roy" and "Ivanhoe". (The lake lady in the poem is not the one from Arthurian legend). In the scene adopted into music by Schubert, a woman named Ellen Douglas prays to Mary from hiding (Morris). The song has a very simple arrangement: voice with piano accompaniment, although it is often played with more or different instruments (the recording on my mix has a harp). The song is a popular one for funerals--providing a hint at the nature of its appearances in "The Batman".

What role does this specific work serve?

    In the opening scene, as a serial killer examines a dreary townhouse in the rain, a children's choir sings the song for the first time. It helps the audience immediately to develop a sense of concern and anticipation. There is no sound in this scene except the killer's heavy breathing over the soft voices.
This killer is the Riddler, and the movie associates "Ave Maria" deeply with him (Hall). He sings it himself two times throughout the movie: once as a boy in an audio recording at the ruined Wayne Manor, second as he reveals the final clue to the film's central mystery. The Riddler, like Batman, grew up an orphan. With no money, he was dumped into an underfunded orphanage. This echoes some of the song's lyrics, in which Ellen pleads for care even as she is outcast and despairing. The Riddler's longing for justice is based upon the wrongs he suffered as a youth, and "Ave Maria" is always heard before he brings a part of his plans into effect to achieve that justice.

Social Commentary

    The Riddler is meant to be a sympathetic villain. I think in many ways this music is meant to help him feel more vulnerable and tragic to his audience. In our society where so many feel undervalued, this song pleading for aid us that the Riddler is someone who also had that aid denied him (Hall). As an orphan, he was cast aside by society-- "banish'd, outcast, and reviled" as the song goes-- with no one to properly care for him. "Ave Maria" in the context of this film reminds us that all societies have a duty to care for the disenfranchised and those who can not help themselves, such as orphans, widows, seniors, people living with disabilities, and countless others.

My Opinion

    I enjoyed the song's simplicity. Pitch is not extreme, timbre is soft and quiet, and dynamics are subdued, favoring steady rolls and the drawing out of notes and chords. The music's mildness helped to put the focus on the melody, though, in my opinion. I think the lack of instruments also helped toward this end. I do wish, though, that the words were in English; I don't speak German. Also, I would be curious to know how the song would have sounded with another voice singing a distinct harmony. Some songs with simple melodies sound even more beautiful with complex harmonies, and I think that might have helped this one.

References:

Morris, Richard Morris and Duncan. “Songs - Deutsch Numbers 801 and Up.” The Schubert Institute (UK), 26 Oct. 2008, web.archive.org/web/20081026060833/www.franzschubert.org.uk/works/song5.html#Ave. 

Sophia Alexandra Hall                    @sophiassocials, and Sophia Alexandra Hall. “Why Schubert’s ‘Ave Maria’? The Batman Soundtrack Explained.” Classic FM, 14 Mar. 2022, www.classicfm.com/discover-music/periods-genres/film-tv/ave-maria-the-batman-soundtrack/.

Comments

  1. As a practicing Catholic I have heard this song numerous times. In the Catholic Church it is most common to hear the song on a Marian Feast Day where we honor Mary. It is also played at weddings and funerals as we ask for Mary’s intercession at those significant celebrations. I like the song because it is an awesome way to honor Mary but it is also very pretty. I have also heard this song when I watched the movie Batman. I do think that it is a little odd that they would play a song like this in a movie like Batman. However, if you just listen to the notes being played I can understand that it sounds like a darker or sadder song which would be appropriate for when it is played in the movie. As you stated, the actual lyrics translate to the "Hail Mary” prayer. We pray for Mary's intercession and ask her for help. We do not pray the “Hail Mary” just for the more marginalized of society, we pray it for our own benefit and the benefit of others.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog