Unit 4 Musical Analysis: Billy Joel, "Piano Man"
Piano Man is a song by Billy Joel, written and released in the US on September 2, 1973, and often considered one of Joel's most popular works. The song is written as a narrative from the perspective of a piano player at a bar, who observes the unsuccessful lives of patrons as he plays his instrument. The lyrics drip with telling detail: "You can almost see the haze of cigarette smoke and hear the clinking of glasses" reports classicrock.com (Unknown 2025). Even if the picture is not familiar to listeners, it helps that even the narrator feels out of place; at one point, patrons ask him why he is even there.
Melody
The melody is complex, almost whimsical, which serves as a counterpoint to the subject material. I would have expected a minor key in any other song full of downtrodden characters, but the major key fits the song well without making it sound too upbeat or cheery. A mandolin, accordion, keyboard, and harmonica lend complexity through a musical turnaround and high notes played during the melody with plenty of trills. A rich chord structure includes catchy walking baselines and jazzy chords, in addition to more common ones like C and G.
Tempo
The song is written in 3/4 timing with a special emphasis on the first note of each measure, giving the feel of a waltz. Piano Man has a relatively slow tempo, helping to convey the somberness of the singer's musings and the relaxed atmosphere of the bar. It also allows the listener to have a better chance at pondering what the singer has to say. Despite being focused on observations of people outside the narrator (Erlewine 2026), the tempo still gives it an introspective feel.
Pitch
Pitch varies more than what might be expected for such a slow, thoughtful piece: the first note of the chorus is more than an octave higher than the last note of the first verse. Low tones predominate in the verses, as if the song's narrator wishes not to be overhead by the people whose lives he evaluates. The musical instruments take the pitch all over the place, especially in the turnaround, which ends up sounding like a bunch of broken chords with fairly large jumps between many jumps. However, the many trills and walkdowns also prove the songwriter can use small pitch changes to advantage and help to foster the intimate feel.
I like heroes, and this song lacks one; none of the characters are doing very well, or could even be described as tragic heroes. The song saddens me. I have never been in a bar before, but I imagine many bars to be filled with the kind of people depicted in this song: everyday people who lead lives of quiet tragedy, using the bar as a social place where they can believe their troubles don't matter. As a storyteller, however, I love it. Joel has done what any good master of words can do: he has painted a scene, unfamiliar to his listener, that is nevertheless appealing.
Melody
The melody is complex, almost whimsical, which serves as a counterpoint to the subject material. I would have expected a minor key in any other song full of downtrodden characters, but the major key fits the song well without making it sound too upbeat or cheery. A mandolin, accordion, keyboard, and harmonica lend complexity through a musical turnaround and high notes played during the melody with plenty of trills. A rich chord structure includes catchy walking baselines and jazzy chords, in addition to more common ones like C and G.
Tempo
The song is written in 3/4 timing with a special emphasis on the first note of each measure, giving the feel of a waltz. Piano Man has a relatively slow tempo, helping to convey the somberness of the singer's musings and the relaxed atmosphere of the bar. It also allows the listener to have a better chance at pondering what the singer has to say. Despite being focused on observations of people outside the narrator (Erlewine 2026), the tempo still gives it an introspective feel.
Pitch
Pitch varies more than what might be expected for such a slow, thoughtful piece: the first note of the chorus is more than an octave higher than the last note of the first verse. Low tones predominate in the verses, as if the song's narrator wishes not to be overhead by the people whose lives he evaluates. The musical instruments take the pitch all over the place, especially in the turnaround, which ends up sounding like a bunch of broken chords with fairly large jumps between many jumps. However, the many trills and walkdowns also prove the songwriter can use small pitch changes to advantage and help to foster the intimate feel.
I like heroes, and this song lacks one; none of the characters are doing very well, or could even be described as tragic heroes. The song saddens me. I have never been in a bar before, but I imagine many bars to be filled with the kind of people depicted in this song: everyday people who lead lives of quiet tragedy, using the bar as a social place where they can believe their troubles don't matter. As a storyteller, however, I love it. Joel has done what any good master of words can do: he has painted a scene, unfamiliar to his listener, that is nevertheless appealing.
Unknown. “Top 100 Classic Rock Songs.” Ultimate Classic Rock, 7 Aug. 2025. ultimateclassicrock.com/top-100-classic-rock-songs/Erlewine, Stephen Thomas. “Piano Man.” AllMusic, www.allmusic.com/album/piano-man-mw0002012463 Accessed 15 Feb. 2026.
I really liked your post! One thing I thought about is how all the instruments such as piano, harmonica, accordion, mandolin, and even the bass, almost feel like the patrons themselves. Each instrument seems to have its own voice, adding personality to the different characters in the bar. It’s like the whole band is “singing” the lives of the people Joel is describing, not just supporting the lyrics.
ReplyDeleteFantastic analysis! Something I really enjoyed was how you pointed out how the song doesn't really have any clear heroes. That it's a room full of people facing quiet tragedy. A thought that came to mind is that the heroes are the stories and versions of themselves the bar-goers wish to see, they come alive in their memories and ideas as the pianoman plays while having to face the reality of not being where they wish. It connects with what you mentioned about the melody being a counterpoint to the subject. I never noticed how this song was in 3/4 time! You're so right in how it feels like a waltz, it adds to the whimsical atmosphere
ReplyDeleteHi Ethan, I think you had a very good analysis of the song. This is the first time that I have heard that the song is in 3/4 time. I think that is very cool. As someone who has been to a bar before, I think your comment about the type of people in this song are pretty similar to the ones depicted in this song. I do believe that not everyone in the bar is leading a tragic life, but I think you are spot on when you say that many people go to the bar to socialize and sometimes spend a few moments away from their everyday lives. Billy Joel does a great job of singing in accordance with the melody. I think the song flows like a lazy river almost.
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed reading your analysis and I thought it described very well the setting and atmosphere set by the song. I found it interesting that the narrator describes the tragicness of the bar patrons while the song is played in major keys rather than minor to give it feeling that I don't really find in many songs. I also liked the addition of the harmonica, and how it feels like something one of the patrons would play themselves in an attempt to lift the mood even just a bit along with the piano man.
ReplyDeleteGood choice in song, Piano Man is a classic. I agree that the song does really well at painting a picture. One is able to imagine themselves there in the bar looking on at the various people Billy Joel is describing. I liked your discussion on pitch and its effects on the song and how it kind of implies that the narrator is trying his best to not overshadow the dreary lives of those around him. I think if you like this song you should definitely check out Vienna; it's my favorite song of his and it kind of feels like Piano Man, but sung about someone else.
ReplyDelete