Hello, everyone.

My name is Ethan Bowser. I am a computer science major in my sophomore year of UAF, but since I am taking the B.A. path (yes, UAF offers a bachelor of arts in computer science)  I need lots of humanities classes; hence why I am in this one. When I am not doing schoolwork or working, I like to ski, run, work on my fantasy novel, and read the classics. In the summer I work for the US Fish and Wildlife Service as a trail maintainer, a job I love (who wouldn't want to hike and get paid for it?). Aside from that, I like to cook, spend time with my family, and (oddly enough) wash dishes.

Below is an image I took while at the Botanical Gardens in Washington, DC. I like the macro perspective emphasizing the detail of the plant structures, and I still can't figure out what species they are.


 My tastes regarding music largely favor classical. It does not really matter what era; I enjoy listening to pieces from the Baroque, Classical, and Romantic periods. Some of my favorite composers include Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart; Hans Lumbye, whose delightful little polkas have enlivened many a sad day in my life; Gioacchino Rossini, whose pieces seem to irradiate an irresistible energy; Peter Tchaikovsky, master of all things ballet; and Johannes Brahms, a genius I will never fully understand (how can anyone write twenty minutes of variations and make it sound good?). I play classical music on my primary instrument, the banjo, and worship music occasionally on guitar. When I listen to music with words, it is either choral or Christmas songs. I only occasionally go to concerts; I prefer to listen to music while doing something else.

 For all of you out there who dislike classical, here is one of my favorite pieces of modern(ish) music:



 

Comments

  1. I enjoyed reading your post! I also enjoy classical music as my audio of choice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a gorgeous photograph. Good composition.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like listening to classical pieces too! Egmont Overture and Symphony No.9 by Beethoven, 1812 Overture by Tchaikovsky, and Four Seasons Winter by Vivaldi are all bangers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an amazing job you have, I would love to hike and get paid for it. I really enjoyed reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Ethan, this was fun to read. The trail maintainer job sounds honestly awesome, and your composer picks made me want to put on some classical music while I work!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog